30 tips to start successful academic research and writing
Paper writing is not an easy task for most people. Even experienced writers with Ph.D. degrees can spend years writing their scientific treatises. Fortunately, there are many ways out of this situation. We will review useful tips that will make the research writing process easier.
The skill of academic writing is the foundation of successful learning. So how can you be successful in this sphere?
1. Choice of research direction and topic. The work on the research begins with the desire to deal with this issue. It is necessary to understand what the research will be about. Realize your strengths as a researcher in the chosen direction. The main thing is to write about what interests you.
2. Organization and composure. If you are limited in time, be sure to make a work schedule.
3. Spend enough time writing. Try to spend at least a few days a week researching. Make sketches if you suddenly get a good idea for an article.
4. Make a list of tasks and keep track of them. So you will not lose precious time and do the job on time.
5. Make a detailed plan for creating research. Do some work every morning. Then continue after a few days, etc.
6. Sometimes, you need to make a long-term plan for the year ahead. Try to get everything done before the deadline.
7. Work on the rational distribution of time. Large tasks require long work and time costs. But correction and editing can be done in a few hours.
Get down to business
1. Try to pay due attention to a minor task for writing a paper.
2. Start writing. Sit down and make at least a sketch of the future research. It will be enough to write just a few sentences.
3. Distribute the parts of the research into separate folders on the computer’s desktop. Gather all the articles, presentations, and other documents you need. Organize everything so that it is easy to find the material you need.
4. Collect all your articles in PDF format. Organize them into separate files according to the themes.
5. If you can’t write a certain chapter, move on to another material.
6. Be sure to set your deadlines. These may be short periods for which you need to complete a certain amount of work.
Get the most out of your writing
1. You can use your papers however you like. The text can become the basis for a scientific review. You can expand it or split it into several parts. An ordinary essay can turn into a scientific article. And some paragraphs of text can be used for two or three posts on the Internet.
2. A decent conference text can become an excellent article. Don’t leave brilliant ideas gathering dust on your resume. Your work may get into a scientific journal. You have to tweak it a little and adjust it to the right standards. Be sure to post your paper online. Let the world see and appreciate your work. Do not forget to indicate authorship and ownership.
3. Before creating an academic work, read the parameters and rules for writing it. It is worth deciding in advance on the magazine and publishing house with which you want to cooperate. This way, you can avoid multiple edits.
4. Don’t rush to send the finished work. Wait a few days and review it again. A fresh look at the paper will help to soberly assess its quality. We give 100% that you will find something that can be corrected or rewritten. When you are satisfied with your written work, show it to others. Don’t be afraid that your work will not be appreciated as well. Don’t hesitate to send the paper to the editors of the magazine.
5. Don’t take negative feedback about your work personally. Quite often, reviewers can beat off all the writer’s motivation. Take only reasonable recommendations that will help improve your text. Submit your work to a different magazine or supervisor. Get some independent reviews. Every academic writer faces negative reviews. There is no escape from this. Don’t give up after the first setbacks. Look at it from the other side. Almost any feedback gives you an extra chance to improve your paper.
6. When editing files with information, do not rush to remove inappropriate material. Just move temporarily unnecessary articles to a separate folder. You may need this data and sketches in the future. Irrelevant but good material can be the beginning of new work.
7. Think about the fact that your finished work can be the beginning of something new. A small text that you write now can turn into an academic dissertation in the future.
8. Show your abstract to friends or supervisors. An outside perspective can be helpful when writing papers. Be sure that it is perfect and doesn’t have typos.
9. Always study the latest in popular science literature. Be sure to read the latest statistics. You will refer to a specific magazine and article in your research. Use only relevant information in your work. Not to miss the news in the world of science, we advise you to subscribe to the newsletter. So you can receive notifications about the news that interests you.
Drawing inspiration from contact
1. Today, you can draw inspiration from almost any Internet resource. Reading high-quality scientific articles, watching videos, and communicating with like-minded people on social networks can help in writing.
2. You should actively use special research networks. Chat with scientists and writers online. Immerse yourself in your field of activity. Use any available development opportunities.
3. Use the Internet for work as often as possible. You can promote your work there and make it publicly available. You will be able to establish communication with many scientists from your field. We advise you to start your blog and register on well-known scientific platforms.
4. You can ask an experienced scientific writer to be your instructor.
5. To save the necessary material, create an account on such resources as Pinterest, Delicious, etc. It will make your life much easier.
6. Try an online link manager that will make your job easier. These can be Endnote or Zotero services.
7. Be careful when choosing a co-author. It should be a serious person with experience. Their contribution to the writing of the work must be at least 50%.
8. Don’t forget about your physical fitness and mental health. Good sleep and an active lifestyle will help you stay more productive.
In conclusion, it is worth saying that writing an academic paper is a difficult and important task at the same time. But it shouldn’t be overestimated either. As you get down to work, remember that this is just one of the steps to achieving your goals. You don’t have to change your life. This article will help you write the perfect academic paper. Just follow the tips above, and success will be on your side.